The dePaul School for Dyslexia is a specialized, independent school dedicated to the education of children in 1st-8th grades with dyslexia and related language-based learning difficulties, with the primary goal of enabling these students to achieve academic and personal success.
Our students are here because they are struggling in traditional school settings. They are bright, capable and eager to learn! While reading and writing are central to our curriculum, dePaul offers a comprehensive educational program helping students grow in all academic areas and preparing them for a successful return to mainstream school.
What is the dePaul Difference?
- Teaching structured linguistics to struggling readers and writers in the Clearwater area for 40 years
- Teaching based on Orton-Gillingham methodology
- Incorporating direct, sequential, multisensory instruction in all subject areas
- Grouping students by age and areas of academic need, not just by grade level
- Requiring small classes with an average 8:1 student to teacher ratio
- Empowering students to be self-advocates
- Cultivating creativity through enrichment in Art and Music
- Ensuring necessary physical breaks with daily recess and PE classes
- Celebrating the strengths of non-traditional learners